Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Our New Hobby

We are Geocaching!! Don't know what that is? It's ok. I only recently was clued in!! (I could very well be REALLY behind.)   It is explained as:

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online

So, someone takes and hides something, and then puts it's exact location on the website. 

D happened to stumble across the Geocaching website and looked up our area and was excited to learn there are 12 Geocaches within 30 miles.  After a short daycare day, we took off on our adventure!

First one found was at our city park. J found this one.



Second one on the nature trail at the lake. This one proved to be more difficult because the trees kept messing with Gloria and it was very hidden. 
 On a mission!!
  
We were being watched closely!
T FOUND IT!!


And the 3rd was found 14 miles south of town.  J got to it first!


Go to  http://www.geocaching.com/  to see if there are any treasures close to you!!

I'm still not sure why the thrill of it is so great, except its like a modern day treasure hunt.  VERY FUN!! (And D has fallen even more in love with Gloria and how she's brought us "so much fun."  Gag... J thinks I need to name my camera!)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

We'll have to check into that. J actually bought a GPS system a few months ago (in preparation for our trip in a few weeks to use on the lake) I forgot about having it until I found it in J's closet the other day!! Next time you go, you'll have to let us know and the boys can go with you!! Sounds like a fun thing!

Sara said...

I have always wanted to do this, but I am sort of a tech junkie! So cool that there are so many spots in our area.

Rhonda said...

This does sound like fun! There are some around here who do that. One hiding place is some buttes SE of town. I would imagine part of the fun would be being outdoors in beautiful scenery as you look for places. :) Now about this "Gloria" ... I hope it doesn't get too serious! I'd watch that gal ... LOL